The HMEM NUBAR Cairo Club will be commemorating the 50th anniversary of its current Heliopolis premises in 2008 with some special events and celebrations during the first week of October 2008.The event will be held from Wednesday 1 to Monday 6 October 2008 and it will be open to all those who have been (or are) associated with the club or who just want to be present to meet as many “HMEM NUBARTSI”s as possible. It will be a reunion of former and current basketball & sports players, members and even just fans of the Club.
The six-day event will include:
- an opening cocktail reception,
- a basketball tournament from Friday 3 to Sunday 5 October, which will probably include 1 or 2 Armenian teams from Middle Eastern countries apart from the participation of the regular 5 Egyptian Armenian basketball teams,
- a veterans’ match/tournament,
- a special event to honor ex-HMEM NUBAR players & members who have served the club or played in one of its sports teams
- a photo exhibition,
- a grand gala dinner,
- a Nile cruise dinner,
- a day trip to Alexandria, and
- an optional 3-4 days trip to a destination yet to be determined.
If you intend to participate in the October 2008 reunion you may contact the organizing committee of the event through the AGBU Egypt and HMEM NUBAR Cairo website www.agbuegypt.com.
A special preliminary form of participation is also available and can be downloaded here.
A Short History of HMEM Nubar
HMEM and NUBAR clubs used to exist as two separate entities before they joined forces and united in one single club moving to the current HMEM NUBAR Club’s premises in Heliopolis in 1958. The HMEM Club was founded in Cairo by Hayg Djizmedjian in 1927 (after Alexandria in 1924) and performed its activities at the Nubarian School in Heliopolis, while AGBU’s NUBAR
Club in Shoubra El Balad was founded in 1933 and served the Armenian community of the Shoubra neighborhood.